Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Mountain of Unmarked


Who has 14 unmarked VHS tapes in their home? ::::raises hand sheepishly:::::: Uh… I do! Now I have no idea how I got these 14 tapes, but I have them. I’m not sure what most people would do in this situation. Would you take the time to see what was on them? Would you assume that because they have no labels that they were the ones you used to record every episode of ER on Thursday nights on? I’m not sure how many people would take the time to weed out the worthless tapes, but that is my mission tonight. I have been looking for a tape that my aunt made me for my Sweet 16 for a few months that I have been unable to find. So I am going through these tapes in the hope of finding it. I just press Play and FF at the same time and keep going about my sorting, glancing up to see the 1997 Cleveland Indians play, or the episode of BMW where Cory and Topanga get married. 3 down, 11 to go. So far I have seen home improvement, golf, 2 games of basketball, boy meets world (that was me), Sabrina the teenage witch, the news, baseball, an episode from first season of The Bachelor. I seem to see a pattern here. These are all recorded shows that I have no desire to see again. Therefore, I begin going through them one at a time from the beginning. Shows, shows, shows… pause (I found one tape that I want to keep of a video production show I was on). I went through them all quickly once I realized I have no intention of keeping these. I know that the Sweet 16 video was at the beginning of a tape. Unfortunately, I did not find it today. Maybe somewhere in my quest to declutter it will show up making going through those 14 VHS tapes worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, thanks for leaving a reply to my comment over at org junkie. It's really funny that you posted about VHS tapes - I just boxed up my collection of VHS movies to donate yesterday leaving behind a big stack of those with blank labels. I don't even have a VCR anymore!! I'm trying to decided if I should just toss those tapes or not!

    It will be fun knowing we are both working on the same task of getting ready to move soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have them too - the ones that probably just have eps of ER or Chicago Hope but might have that home video DH dumped off without labelling! I plan to go through these in the winter and then I can get rid of the rubbish, transfer any treasures and ditch the VHS machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how empty the TV stand in my room is looking! It was a pain, but well worth it to junk those 12 space takers from the days before DVR's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, your posts really are inspiring me. I don't think I have quite as many unlabeled tapes as you do but I certainly need to get rid of some. There are only 2 I want, my wedding and a sonogram of my 18 year old. Thanks again for your inspiring posts.

    ReplyDelete